The primary responsibility of this role is to fully run Alumni Engagement and Mentorship function and to support in keeping alumni connected to each other and to Generation. Encourage and promote the professional development of alumni, keep the alumni community aware of Generation’s developments and needs, including fundraising opportunities and achievements. They will also be responsible in implementing the alumni and mentorship strategy which is an integral component of the Generation methodology where we support our learners and alumni during the bootcamp and after when they are placed into employment.
The secondary responsibility of this role will be to support the functional head when called upon in managing internal and external communications.
INTERESTED candidates please submit your applications to email@example.com attaching your resume and a motivational statement (maximum 1000 words) explaining why you are a suitable fit for the position. Your applications must be received by Thursday 25th February 2021 indicating in the subject: Alumni & Communications Co-ordinator
To be successful you'll need:
Knowledge, Qualifications And Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Journalism, public information, or related field.
- Minimum of three (3) years’ relevant – hands-on – professional experience in a communications role in a busy communications environment.
- Embody values and understand the future challenges and opportunities for youth empowerment and is passionate about creating an impact in Kenya’s employment ecosystem.
- Proven track record writing press releases, news articles, opinion pieces, feature stories, developing blog content and creating social media posts in a fast-paced environment – is preferred.
- Prior experience creating digital content and managing communications campaigns – is desirable.
- Comprehensive knowledge of content management systems, Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.), and social media platforms
Skills And Abilities
- Excellent oral/presentation skills.
- Possess exceptional writing skills and ability to compose engaging and accurate content.
- Strong teamwork orientation, with an ability to lead and work effectively with a range of media partners and colleagues.
- Strategic and innovative with ability to identify ways to improve communication efforts and sell the vision of Generation.
- Ability to explain complex ideas in easily accessible way tailored to different audiences.
- Be adaptable/flexible to respond to a fast-changing environment.
- Strong planning skills.
- Resourceful self-starter with confidence and ability to drive things with minimal oversight.
- Ability to think strategically and identify ways to improve communication efforts.
- Commitment to respect and value equality and diversity and understanding of how this applies to own area of work.
- Ability to develop and maintain positive relationship with a wide range of media stakeholder.
- Commitment to own continuing personal and professional development.
- Demonstrate high levels of integrity and aligned with Generation vision, mission, and values.
- Ability to travel frequently within Kenya, and potential occasional travel to the counties
What you'll do:
Alumni and Mentorship
- Communicate with the alumni community graduates across various social media platforms (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, text)
- Schedule and organize alumni events (e.g., networking, reunions, short courses) for alumni members.
- Form and maintain an active alumni steering committee where each member has assigned actions and timelines.
- Engage, proactively, with the Learner Engagement Team to ensure alignment of our Alumni and Mentorship Strategy.
- Support communication with an alumni community of more than 18,000 graduates across various Social Media Platforms (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, text, phone calls, email, website etc.)
- Assist in implementation of the Mentorship Programme by supporting the Regional Leads and Trainers in identification of Mentors, matching of Mentors and Mentees, ensuring Mentor-Mentee meetings and organising Mentor meet-ups.
- Participate in Generation alumni community events.
- Support plan alumni events and graduation ceremonies.
- Assist implement the alumni fundraising plan to encourage in-kind and financial contributions to support ongoing Generation operations.
- Provide content and carrying out editorial duties for the alumni newsletter.
- Collecting and sharing alumni and student success stories.
- Participate in Generation alumni communities’ events.
- Support the functional head deliver media training for Generation spokespersons as required.
- Assist external communication via taking queries and providing correct information, through the official Generation Programme Kenya phone line.
- Manage the bulk messaging function in ensuring accurate and consistent messaging, where needed.
- Coordinate media activity, through sourcing of stories from across the alumni and student body to raise the profile.
- Support in the creation of concepts and ideas to visually communicate the Generation brand and work.
Any other responsibilities as may be assigned from time to time.
Key Working Relationships
- Media & Alumni Relationships – collaborate with while maintaining strategic media and alumni partnerships, and advocate for Education-to-Employment promoting support for Generation Kenya work.
- Kenya & Global Partnership Team – support and work with the Global Learner Engagement team for Alumni and Mentorship Strategy development and implementation.
- Generation Kenya Program Team – in liaison with Communications & Alumni Manager, regularly engage, advice and support internal teams in Generation Programme Kenya as the alumni advisor, on best practices with our alumni to ensure delivery of high-quality alumni management.
Worldwide, more than 75 million young people are unemployed. But many employers can’t find people with the skills they need for entry-level jobs. Generation was created in 2014 to help bridge this gap—at speed and scale.
We’re building a skills-training methodology that can serve hundreds of thousands, and eventually millions, of young people a year. And we’re building proof that this training creates real business outcomes for employers, and lasting career impact for trainees—so everyone has the incentive to invest in skills. Our goal is to help our students achieve personal and professional success—and fundamentally change their life trajectories. Generation programs prepare unemployed or underemployed young people, aged 18 to 29, for jobs in four sectors: healthcare, technology, retail/sales, and skilled trades.
Today, Generation is active in fourteen countries with diverse social, economic and labor-market contexts.