Chief Executive Officer
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) is a full-time role responsible for leading and scaling up Generation Kenya’s operations, providing strategic direction to the organization, and managing key stakeholder relationships. The CEO will report directly to the Generation Kenya Board. S/he will be the primary point of contact for senior leadership at Generation Global.
Generation and our work in Kenya
Generation is a global independent non-profit organization with the mission to prepare, place, and support people into life-changing careers that would otherwise be inaccessible. Founded in 2014, Generation empowers people to build thriving, sustainable careers and to provide employers the highly skilled, motivated talent they need. To date, nearly 39,000 young adults have graduated from the Generation program, which prepares young adults for careers in more than 140 cities and 350 locations across 14 countries: USA, Kenya, Brazil, Spain, Mexico, India, Singapore, Australia, Hong Kong, UK, France, Italy, Ireland, and Pakistan, with plans of expansion to 2-3 additional countries this year. Generation works with more than 3,200 employer partners, a wide range of implementation partners and funders, and employs over 400 staff around the world. For more, visit generation.org
Generation Programme Kenya is the local affiliate of Generation: You Employed (“Generation Global”), based in Kenya. It started its operations in 2015 and has supported nearly 20,000 learners to date across 28 cities and towns in Kenya, placing 89% graduates within 90 days after graduation.
Generation Kenya seeks to recruit a CEO who embodies our values, understands the future challenges and opportunities for the organization, can drive the organization and its people to success, and is passionate about creating impact in Kenya’s education to employment ecosystem.
The position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya. Compensation and benefits package competitive with Kenyan NGO industry standards.
Interested applicants should submit a resume HERE. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
To be successful you'll need:
- Strong track record and minimum 10 years of business work experience with 5+ years of direct leadership experience
- Minimum bachelor’s degree, preference for graduate-level degree in a relevant field
- Leadership in executing strategy for growth-stage organizations (particularly those with multiple sites or projects simultaneously) and experience holding accountability for large scale operations
- Experience in building close, trust-based working relationships with CXO-level positions within corporates, foundations, government, etc.
- Experience of sustaining /running an education/training/talent-related organization or tech-related start-up, and knowledge of the non-profit landscape is preferable and but not required
- Experience in private and/or public sector fundraising, preferable across the skills/education secto
- Demonstrated passion for Generation’s mission and vision
- Ability to drive a people-first culture and lead, develop and manage a diverse team
- Entrepreneurial, creative, innovative, proactive mindset required for start-ups that demands taking ownership of targets and seeking opportunities for continuous improvement / growth
- Positive, solutions and impact-oriented attitude, drive for excellence, self-reflective and open to frequent feedback from multiple stakeholders
- Data-driven approach in presenting/influencing and informing decisions
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with ability to tailor messaging to a variety
of audiences, including written and spoken English
- Integrity, mission-driven, and self-directed work ethic with commitment to working
collaboratively with a management team of senior professionals
- Experience with financial planning and ability to manage budgets efficiently
What you'll do:
- Define the short- and long-term strategy for Generation in Kenya, and provide continuity to
efforts of the organization
- Ensure adequate funding availability for Generation Kenya, through fundraising from private
sector, government, and foundation sources, with an emphasis on sustainability
- Ensure appropriate organization and staffing and manage the operational team as required
to maintain high quality program outcomes, in line with the Generation methodology
- Be the external interface for Generation Kenya with various government entities, private
sector organizations, Foundations, and represent Generation in relevant forums
- Accelerate the growth of Generation across cities and roles, by identifying and securing new
opportunities for impactful programs
- Identify areas of risk and take steps to reduce vulnerabilities
- Grow and develop internal talent, and cultivate a strong, values-driven team culture
- Be a credible representative of the efforts of Generation Kenya to current and potential
partners, as well as the skill development scene in Kenya
Develop strategy and ensure execution
- Set the vision and overall strategy for Generation Kenya, ensuring alignment across all
relevant stakeholders, including the Generation Kenya Board, Generation Global
leadership, and Generation SAMEA COO
- Set and deliver against realistic goals, agreed in consultation with the internal leadership team
- Expand Generation Kenya’s presence and programs in the ICT/tech and health sectors, and
deepen Generation Kenya’s engagement with public sector institutions
- Oversee the design and implementation of strategic initiatives and experiments
- Ensure consistent communication with larger Generation organization, including
ensuring updates and leading regular alignment calls
Build and manage external relationships
- Build and manage relationships with multiple implementation partners, and ensure their
adherence to Generation methodology, practices, and standards
- Ensure targets and timelines for expansion and scale up are met
- Manage relationships with employer partners, funders and other partners providing
resources to Generation in the form of vacancies and/or funding
- Build relationship with corporate, charitable trusts, international and national grant-giving
bodies, chambers of commerce etc., with a view to maintaining a reputable public image
and creating new opportunities for partnerships/fundraising
- Represent Generation Kenya, and its programs, in all public forums
Drive funding and sustainability
- Develop funding strategy, and value proposition for potential funding partnerships and
- Execute funding strategy in line with revenue targets, by cultivating and securing new
funding lines from government, private sector donors, and foundations
- Ensure Generation Kenya delivers against commitments and conditions associated with
all funding sources
- Drive fund appropriation to the right projects, and be accountable for funds and usage
- Ensure timely reporting and due diligence as per expectations of partners, especially
funding partners, to ensure positive outcomes and sustained relationships
Team building and coaching
- Build, manage and develop leadership team to achieve ambitious revenue and growth targets
- Promote a healthy, inclusive, equitable, and performance-oriented organizational culture
that enables exceptional results and engaged staff
- Support HR to attract, retain, and develop talent that will drive organisational performance.
Foster a culture of growth, accountability, and collaboration in line with organisational
- Manage Senior Management Team Members directly, supporting their growth and
- Build a culture of continuous learning and development within the organization
Manage operations and finances
- Support COO to oversee and manage plans for operations and ongoing performance
management and review of projects, outcomes, and impact
- Monitor results against performance, operational, and financial goals and take appropriate
action when necessary
- Drive financial sustainability for the organization by growing revenues from employers,
government, and other long-term funders and ensuring a diversity of funding sources.
- Provide regular reports to the Board, Generation Global and Generation SAMEA COO
Worldwide, more than 75 million young people are unemployed. But many employers can’t find people with the skills they need for entry-level jobs. Generation was created in 2014 to help bridge this gap—at speed and scale.
We’re building a skills-training methodology that can serve hundreds of thousands, and eventually millions, of young people a year. And we’re building proof that this training creates real business outcomes for employers, and lasting career impact for trainees—so everyone has the incentive to invest in skills. Our goal is to help our students achieve personal and professional success—and fundamentally change their life trajectories. Generation programs prepare unemployed or underemployed young people, aged 18 to 29, for jobs in four sectors: healthcare, technology, retail/sales, and skilled trades.
Today, Generation is active in fourteen countries with diverse social, economic and labor-market contexts.