CHIEF OPERATING OFFICER
Generation Chile seeks to recruit an Chief Operating Officer (COO) who embodies our values, understands the future challenges and opportunities for the organization, can drive the organization and its people to success, and is passionate about creating impact in Chile’s education to employment ecosystem.
The COO is a full-time role responsible for leading the set-up and scaling up Generation Chile’s operations, providing strategic direction to the organization, and managing key stakeholder relationships. The COO will report directly to the Generation Chile Board. S/he will be the primary point of contact for senior leadership at Generation Global.
The position will be based in Santiago City. Compensation and benefits package competitive with NGO industry standards.
Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter by email to email@example.com . Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
To be successful you'll need:
- Strong track record and minimum 10 years of business work experience with 5+ years of direct leadership experience
- Leadership in setting up, scaling up and operations programs (particularly those with multiple sites or projects simultaneously) and experience holding accountability for large scale operations
- Experience in building close, trust-based working relationships with CXO-level positions within corporates, foundations, government, etc.
- Experience of starting/running an education/training/talent-related organization or tech-related start-up, and knowledge of the non-profit landscape is preferable and but not required
- Experience in private and/or public sector fundraising, preferable across the skills/education sector
- Demonstrated passion for Generation’s mission and vision
- Ability to lead, develop and manage a diverse team
- Entrepreneurial, creative, innovative, proactive mindset required for start-ups that demands taking ownership of targets and seeking opportunities for continuous improvement / growth
- Positive, solutions and impact orientated attitude, drive for excellence, self-reflective and open to frequent feedback from multiple stakeholders
- Data-driven approach in presenting/influencing and informing decisions
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with ability to tailor messaging to a variety of audiences, including written and spoken Spanish and English
- Integrity, mission-driven, and self-directed work ethic with commitment to working collaboratively with a management team of senior professionals
- Experience with financial planning and ability to manage budgets efficiently
What you'll do:
- Define the short- and long-term strategy for Generation in Chile, and provide continuity to efforts of the organization
- Ensure appropriate organization and staffing and manage the operational team as required to maintain high quality program outcomes, in line with the Generation methodology
- Be the external interface for Generation Chile with various government entities, private sector organizations, Foundations, and represent Generation in relevant forums
- Accelerate the growth of Generation across cities and roles, by identifying and securing new opportunities for impactful programs
- Ensure adequate funding availability for Generation Chile, through fundraising and engagement from private sector, government and foundation sources, with an emphasis on sustainability
- Identify areas of risk and take steps to reduce vulnerabilities
- Grow and develop internal talent, and cultivate a strong, values-driven team culture
- Be a credible representative of the efforts of Generation Chile to current and potential partners, as well as the skill development scene in Chile
Develop strategy and ensure execution
- Set the vision and overall strategy for Generation Chile, ensuring alignment across all relevant stakeholders, including the Generation Chile Board, Generation Global leadership, and Generation LatAm COO
- Set and deliver against realistic goals, agreed in consultation with the leadership team
- Oversee the design and implementation of all operational initiatives including recruitment, training & placement, in accordance with program specifications & funding limits
- Ensure consistent communication with larger Generation organization, including ensuring updates and leading regular alignment calls
Build and manage external relationships
- Build and manage relationships with multiple implementation partners, and ensure their adherence to Generation methodology, practices, and standards
- Ensure targets and timelines for set up and scale up are met
- Manage relationships with employer partners, funders and other partners providing resources to Generation in the form of vacancies and/or funding
- Build relationship with corporate, charitable trusts, international and national grant-giving bodies, chambers of commerce etc., with a view to maintaining a reputable public image and creating new opportunities for partnerships/fundraising
- Represent Generation Chile, and its programs, in all public forums
Drive funding and sustainability
- Develop funding and sustainability strategy, and value proposition for potential funding partnerships and collaboration
- Execute funding strategy in line with revenue targets, by cultivating and securing new funding lines from employers, government, private sector donors, and foundations
- Ensure Generation Chile delivers against commitments and conditions associated with all funding sources
- Drive fund appropriation to the right projects, and be accountable for funds and usage
- Ensure timely reporting and due diligence as per expectations of partners, especially funding partners, to ensure positive outcomes and sustained relationships
Team building and coaching
- Build, manage and develop team to achieve ambitious revenue and growth targets
- Recruit, train and promote human resources as necessary for the organization
- Define a career path for team members
- Promote a healthy, inclusive and equitable organizational culture that enables exceptional results and engaged staff
Manage operations and finances
- Oversee and manage plans for operations and ongoing performance management and review of projects, outcomes and impact
- Monitor results against operational, revenue and cost goals, and provide reports on the progress against same throughout the year
- Oversee design and implementation of human resources policies and procedures, including set up of payroll, benefits plans
- Oversee overall financial management, planning, systems and controls including the budgeting process, payables to vendors
- Provide regular operational and financial reports to the Board, Generation Global and Generation LatAm COO
Worldwide, more than 75 million young people are unemployed. But many employers can’t find people with the skills they need for entry-level jobs. Generation was created in 2014 to help bridge this gap—at speed and scale.
We’re building a skills-training methodology that can serve hundreds of thousands, and eventually millions, of young people a year. And we’re building proof that this training creates real business outcomes for employers, and lasting career impact for trainees—so everyone has the incentive to invest in skills. Our goal is to help our students achieve personal and professional success—and fundamentally change their life trajectories. Generation programs prepare unemployed or underemployed young people, aged 18 to 29, for jobs in four sectors: healthcare, technology, retail/sales, and skilled trades.
Today, Generation is active in fourteen countries with diverse social, economic and labor-market contexts.