To support mentors in the high quality delivery of our programs, Generation is seeking a full-time Mentor Support Lead to plan, manage, and deliver onboarding and professional development to Generation USA mentors. The Mentor Support Lead will report directly to the US Program Quality Lead, directly manage the US Alumni Lead and will work in close collaboration with the US Program Lead, all US program mentors, and other Generation staff.
To be successful you'll need:
You are a mission driven and passionate leader energized at the thought of taking Generation into the next phase of growth. You love training staff and spotting issues at scale.
Specific requirements include, but are not limited to:
- Integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed with demonstrated passion for Generation’s mission and commitment to working collaboratively with a management team of senior professionals
- At least 3-5 years of experience with older youth programming and wraparound service delivery, with at least 4 years direct supervisory or management experience
- At least 1 year experience coaching or providing support to adults.
- Creative and analytical thinker with a track record of managing projects and delivering operational targets.
- Comfortable working with digital tools (e.g. learning management systems, webinars, etc.)
- Professional demeanor, excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills and attention to detail.
- High degree of independence and experience with self-management
- Interest in leading a community-based coalition that stretches across multiple local organizations.
- Self-reflective and open to frequent feedback from Generation participants and the Generation team.
- Positive, solutions orientated attitude, drive for excellence and ability to be a team player
- Entrepreneurial, creative, proactive mindset required of start-ups that takes ownership for targets and seeks opportunities for improvement / growth of the program without guidance.
- Ideal candidate will have experience working with nonprofit service providers, and/or has knowledge of current trends in adult learning, issues and the players in the skills training landscape.
- The candidate should be open to travelling within country, and occasional travel to other Generation sites as per the needs of the program.
What you'll do:
- Lead mentor support strategy by (10%):
- Developing a strategy for mentor training and development, creating new tools as well as customizing global tools and guidance as needed to achieve program goals.
- Liaising with mentors from other Generation sites to adopt best practices from other Generation countries and the field of adult learning.
- Integrating mentor support into larger programmatic goals and strategies for scale.
- Oversee and delivery mentor onboarding by (30%):
- Designing and customizing onboarding agendas and session plans to lead trainings with Generation mentors.
- Facilitating online and / or in-person onboarding and training for Generation mentors, engaging them in an adult-appropriate, participatory way.
- Collecting and evaluate data before, during, and after onboarding and trainings to identify lessons learned and any additional support needs for mentors.
- Conducting daily check-ins with new mentors during their first week to ensure they are fully supported to adopt the Generation training methodology.
- Drive mentor professional development processes by (40%):
- Developing mentor observation tools (e.g., mentor checklist, participant support rubric) and conducting regular site visits for mentors using relevant observation tools
- Analyzing observation evidence to determine mentor strengths, areas for improvement, and progress toward development goals.
- Delivering professional development to mentors (e.g., coaching, refresher training, etc.) to help them improve their delivery of the Generation methodology
- Creating culture and community among mentors, motivating them and their participants to reach their full potential and invest in Generation’s mission.
- Lead program learning and improvement by (20%):
- Documenting mentor best practices and share them with mentors across the US
- Supporting mentors to resolve participant support issues and challenges that impact participant learning and achievement.
- Identifying session delivery opportunities, challenges, and lessons learned and communicate that information to the US Leadership Team as needed to be considered for further support.
- Collaborating with US Leadership Team to resolve programmatic issues that affect participant support.
- Overseeing the creation of a robust alumni program to further the work of Generation’s mission.
Generation offers highly competitive total compensation including excellent health benefits and paid time off.
How to apply:
If you are energized at the thought of taking Generation into the next phase of growth, apply here: https://boards.greenhouse.io/generation/jobs/4020926002
Worldwide, more than 75 million young people are unemployed. But many employers can’t find people with the skills they need for entry-level jobs. Generation was created in 2014 to help bridge this gap—at speed and scale.
We’re building a skills-training methodology that can serve hundreds of thousands, and eventually millions, of young people a year. And we’re building proof that this training creates real business outcomes for employers, and lasting career impact for trainees—so everyone has the incentive to invest in skills. Our goal is to help our students achieve personal and professional success—and fundamentally change their life trajectories. Generation programs prepare unemployed or underemployed young people, aged 18 to 29, for jobs in four sectors: healthcare, technology, retail/sales, and skilled trades.
Today, Generation is active in eight countries—more than 64 cities and 150+ sites—with diverse social, economic and labor-market contexts.