We are seeking a talented Human Resources Specialist, interested in supporting effective implementation of Career Readiness Social Initiative Limited (running Generation Kenya) various HR initiatives and activities such recruitment, selection, on-boarding, training, performance management, learning and development and reporting in order to create a safe and healthy work environment for the achievement of organizational goals..
Please send an application attaching a CV to email@example.com on or before 12pm Thursday 19th September 2019.
Important note: If you submitted your application for HR Officer role advertised earlier, please do not re-send your application for this role. We will consider your application for the HR Specialist role.
This position is a 2-year fixed term employment engagement with a possibility of renewal based on performance
Equality and diversity: Generation is committed both to promoting equality and diversity within the organization and to equal opportunities in employment. We believe in equality of opportunity regardless of race or racial group (including colour, nationality, ethnicity, national origins), religion or belief, age, disability, sexual orientation, sex, gender re-assignment and gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, and pregnancy, maternity and paternity. This also includes any incidents of perceptive or associative discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are made entirely on merit. Generation does not ask for payment from people that apply for jobs with Generation at any stage of the hiring process. If you have any specific queries, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To report instances of fraud or unethical business practices by our any of our staff, vendors or mobilisers please reach out to the executive leadership team on email@example.com or call the office directly on 0700783511.
To be successful you'll need:
Essential Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree with emphasis in Human Resources, Business or similar field required
- Professional qualification of a post graduate Diploma/Degree in HR Management
- CHRP Certificate
- Minimum of 3-5 years’ experience as a HR Practitioner. This is an early to mid-career-stage role. We are looking for curious candidates who demonstrate a passion to grow
- IHRM Membership added advantage
- Ability to handle sensitive, highly confidential information
- Experience in implementing HR policies and procedures
Required Competencies and Mindsets
- Excellent communication skills in English (verbal and written), with the ability to provide clear and effective advice on a range of people issues
- Strong sense of urgency
- Proactive, adaptable and resourceful with a pragmatic, solution focused approach to people issues
- Good coaching and mentoring skills and an approach that builds capacity rather than dependency
- Able to work independently and on own initiative, making informed and sensible judgements as well as working as part of a wider team
- Seen as a credible source of advice and experienced in effectively resolving complex HR matters
- Experience in working in multi-cultural environments with the ability to build relationships with people from a variety of backgrounds and cultures and an appreciation of how different cultural, legal and labor markets influence
- Upholds a high level of integrity
- Upholds confidentiality
- Organizational skills and the ability to understand detailed information
What you'll do:
To support Generation Kenya’s workforce excel in their areas of operation, Generation is seeking a full-time Human Resources Specialist to assist in the implementation of effective of various HR activities such as recruitment, selection, on-boarding, training, performance management, reporting , maintaining the country HRIS and other related HR initiatives to support a safe and healthy work environment for the achievement of organizational goals.
This role will report directly to the Head of Partnerships and HR (also referred to here as the Function Head). You will also work closely with other functions.
Sourcing: Recruiting, Contracting and On-Boarding
Working closely with the Function Head, you will play a critical role in ensuring that we are hiring the best possible talent and achieving staffing objectives by
- Overseeing the development of manpower plans and the recruitment process
- Coordinating the recruitment with Function Leads to ensure the organization always has sufficient, skilled and qualified talent. This will also entail working closely with Function Leads to draw up plans for future personnel needs
- Preparing and posting job advertisements. You will determine the most suitable job advertising techniques (e.g. job boards, social networks and careers pages)
- Advising Function Leads on the recruitment process, their responsibilities and outcomes
- Conducting reference checks for finalists
- Preparing employment contracts
- Onboarding new employees in liaison with the hiring function and Function Leads
You will support the organization to ensure full compliance with the Kenya’s Employment Act 2007 and internal HR policies. Specifically,
- Ensures legal compliance by monitoring and implementing applicable human resource country requirements; conducting investigations; maintaining records; liaising with legal and representing the organization at hearings as necessary
- Consistently review policies to ensure relevance and most importantly are compliant with all relevant Country laws
- Continually reviewing and implementing organizational HR policies and procedures. This includes ensuring that all staff are fully aware of the HR policies and procedures. In liaison with Function Leads, schedule regular trainings on the same.
- Provide consistent policy-based guidance to function leads and staff
- Work closely with the Finance Manager to facilitate the payroll process and ensure compliance to all statutory deductions
- Support the implementation and coordination of disciplinary procedures as per the HR policy in liaison with the Function Head. This will include investigation of staff cases and/or claims
- Conduct investigations on HR issues arising due to instances of fraud and non-compliance
- Work closely with both global and local legal teams to ensure that the organization is protected from any employee-related liability
Generation Kenya conducts semi-annual performance reviews and your task will be to:
- Work with internal Leads to develop easy-to-use and flexible performance management and staff engagement tools. An example might include making improvements to development plan templates
- Develop, implement and continuously review performance management programs
- Work closely with Function Leads to ensure all staff understand the performance management processes and procedures
- Coordinate performance appraisals in liaison with the function head
- Ensure all performance management records are properly maintained and securely stored in the HRIS
- Analyze utilization of the human resource in the organization and advise on staff performance, career progression and making appropriate recommendations and proposals on human resource planning & succession management
Learning and Development
As a learning organization, we are keen to ensure that staff are provided with the right tools and skills to succeed at their jobs. To support this you will, in liaison with the Function head,
- Coordinate and conduct relevant trainings, refreshers and other capacity strengthening activities like team building, coaching and mentorship. These will be informed by a training needs analysis that this role will be responsible for
- In collaboration with the Data Function, conduct the administration and analyses of staff surveys [e.g. staff satisfaction surveys] to inform improvement areas. Responsibilities may include developing survey questions, preparing staff communications, monitoring and boosting participation, analyzing survey and disseminating results.
Staff Health, Safety and Welfare
- Ensure compliance to organizational health and safety policies
- Coordinate health and safety activities such as trainings and audits
- Ensure timely acquisition of medical benefits for existing and new staff
- Timely submission and implementation of HR budgets
- Reviewing, updating and/or developing job descriptions
- In collaboration with the Finance Manager, conduct periodic salary surveys; scheduling and conducting job evaluations; monitoring and scheduling individual pay actions; recommending, planning, and implementing pay structure revisions.
- Ensure complete employee records including CVs, relevant educational certificates, contracts, identification, NHIF & NSSF cards, etc are maintained according to the HR policy and legal requirements
- Ensures planning, monitoring, and appraisal of employee work results by training specialists to coach and discipline employees; hearing and resolving employee grievances
- In liaison with the Function Head, support the processing of key communications to staff including but not limited to warning letters, contracts and other internal correspondences
- Assist in processing any HR claims such as WIBA
- Resolve administrative problems by coordinating preparation of reports, analyzing data, and identifying solutions
- Provide feedback to the Global HR on and maintain the Kenya-based data on the HRIS
- Planning, scheduling and management of company-wide team building programs
- Participating in all HR related meetings including those scheduled with the Global team
Worldwide, more than 75 million young people are unemployed. But many employers can’t find people with the skills they need for entry-level jobs. Generation was created in 2014 to help bridge this gap—at speed and scale.
We’re building a skills-training methodology that can serve hundreds of thousands, and eventually millions, of young people a year. And we’re building proof that this training creates real business outcomes for employers, and lasting career impact for trainees—so everyone has the incentive to invest in skills. Our goal is to help our students achieve personal and professional success—and fundamentally change their life trajectories. Generation programs prepare unemployed or underemployed young people, aged 18 to 29, for jobs in four sectors: healthcare, technology, retail/sales, and skilled trades.
Today, Generation is active in twelve countries—101 cities and 280 sites—with diverse social, economic and labor-market contexts.